Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, December 24, 2010

OTIS REDDING - MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY b/w WHITE CHRISTMAS


Here's an incredible double-sided bit of holiday wonderment from the master. Released in 1968 (exactly one year after Otis' tragic death), this superb record showcases the two sides of Otis; his reading of the perennial "Merry Christmas Baby" shows his uptempo driving vocals, while his take on "White Christmas" shows that this man could pull so much emotion out of a ballad and turn a song completely into his own.

Happy holidays, all: thank you for your kind words and comments which help keep this labor of loving going strong, three years down the line!

MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY

WHITE CHRISTMAS

6 comments:

Perrata 2000 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Howdy said...

Merry Christmas Derek!! Thanks for a year of great tunes!

brianbrora said...

Great post - Otis was THE Man....Merry Christmas and long may your blog continue.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this one Derek. Your timing is perfect - and I'm not just referring to the Christmas season. I was just in the process of compiling everything I could find of Otis - my favorite singer ('tho I can alternate between him & Sam Cooke). A 'Best Of' CD and 5 of his albums is just not enough of this master stylist for me.
And lo' - you post this double-sided gem - 2 tracks I had never heard before. Thank you thank you - one of the highlights of my year. Keep up the great work.

Mick from Australia

cedric verhaeghe said...

hi Derek
i can't play the second tune
is it a bug or my computer ?

Derek See said...

Just checked it and it seems to be working fine; must be a bug, Cedric!