Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

JEAN KNIGHT - DOGGIN' AROUND


I love the stripped down, raw production on this record with its wild lead organ. This is one of Jean's early sides which was produced by Huey Meaux; after her run of singles in the mid sixties, Jean went to work as a baker until the opportunity to cut 'Mr Big Stuff" presented itself, giving her a much deserved smash hit that crossed over to the pop top ten.

This song has that great 3 AM session feel, and Jean's vocals are top notch; dig her phrasing and incredible pitch!

from 1965...

JEAN KNIGHT - DOGGIN' AROUND

3 comments:

Heart of the Wood said...

Oh, this is fabulous! - she sounds so weary. I don't know her name at all, but must find Mr Big Stuff now!

Unknown said...

I remember being blown away the first time I heard jackie Wilson's performance of this song. I am now sitting here with a huge smile on my face listening to Jean Knight amaze me with her rendition. Very cool. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

A very nice record. Thank you (once again).

J